As you’ll see on the RV page of this blog, RVs can be fun. And I mean that in both a good way and a bad way.
Today was a good day though, I was able to fix several nagging problems on The RV from Heck.
21 years is a pretty good life for an electric motor exposed to the atmosphere under the RV, right behind the front tire, and not used often. The automatic entry steps quit extending reliably. Several weeks ago I tore them apart, cleaned, tested, adjusted, and they seemed to work correctly. Till the next time I moved the RV. Then they refused to extend. Making the leap into and out of the RV when two steps are missing isn’t too bad for me, but a challenge for the height-challenged wife. So over this weekend I did lots of research, and found out that the motor drive for the steps is nothing more than a automotive electric window motor. Visiting a local parts emporium, I was able to select and order the optimum replacement motor, one that fits a late-eighties/early-nineties Ford. Today the part arrived, and following some more cleaning, and judicious grinding of the center pivot pin, the motor was installed, wired, and successfully tested. Joy.
Another problem with 21-year old RVs is that plastic breaks down. The slide was leaving orange plastic chunks underneath every time it was run out to the extended position. Originally, I thought that some child had left a small toy on the floor to get crushed under the slide rollers. But in reality, the plastic is the cushion over the metal rollers. Sigh. Four new rollers from Newmar later, the slide doesn’t leave plastic chunks in the carpet any more.
Finally, re-repair the main cabin door. I goofed up and let the door slam open recently and it popped the inner panel loose on the door, and re-damaged the outside just below the handle. One piece of diamond tread aluminum later, there’s now a protective plate to prevent further re-damaging of the door.
As said, it feels good to fix stuff on the beast. It’s all fun when it works, and can be a real P.I.T.A. when they don’t. Check the RV page for a list of the fixes…